This morning I watched the Italian Grand Prix at work and it was such an amazing race that it reminded me how much I love the sport. So, I thought I'd blog about it and talk about why I love Formula One! Maybe these reasons will convince you to watch as well. Because there are so many, I will try to keep them as organized as possible.
Drivers:
- The look of relief and pride on a driver's face after a win. Whether it's their first, their home race, or just a well-fought race, drivers always have that sigh of relief at the top step of the podium, and I find it so incredibly beautiful.
- Sort of building on this, their radio messages after a win. You can hear just how much effort the race has taken from them, and the raw emotion they are experiencing. Max Verstappen's Abu Dhabi 2021 radio is one perfect example, when he won his first world championship.
- National pride also plays a very big role in racing, and I admire it a lot. For example, Kimi Antonelli won his first home race today, at just 20 years old, and after 60 years since the last Italian driver won it. Also, he won from 19th on the grid. He had a truly incredible drive, and the Italian fans really showed up for him, showing so much pride that someone from their soil won.
- Driver celebrations also mean a lot to me. When they pull up and get out of their car, stand on it, and have a moment to celebrate, and then again on the podium. Lando's champagne spray, Senna and Kimi pouring it on their heads, Daniel's shoeys. It's just so fun to have a sport where drivers can truly celebrate without it being "showboating." Sebastian Vettel also comes to mind for his iconic celebrations, like bowing to his car. Fernando Alonso's dancing and kicking too. I could go on and on about drivers' celebrations, whether they are on the podium or in parc ferme.
- One of my absolute favorite things about F1 Drivers is that no matter their background, they have wanted this most of their lives. They start karting as children and work at developing their skills for YEARS before getting into the sport. It is their number one passion in life, and they have done everything possible to make it here. Their dedication and passion for the sport are some of my absolute favorite things about it.
The Actual Racing:
- With 11 teams and 22 cars to watch, there are always so many storylines to follow every weekend. Whether it be the battle for the championship at the front, the battle for the last points towards the back, or inner and outer team rivalries, there is always enough to keep you entertained.
- Teammate rivalries are also so special to the sport. As a driver, your teammate is your biggest rival, because they are in the same machinery as you. If you are underperforming when compared to them, it could lead to serious issues for you and your team. As a fan, this is very exciting to watch, as it can lead to a lot of on-track drama such as team orders, crashes, etc.
- The strategic side of Formula One is also very intriguing to me. One right or wrong decision can completely change a race's outcome, so it's incredibly fun to watch teams try new things and take the gamble of an unusual strategy.
- Good, fair, clean, and close racing is also a factor I love. When drivers are racing close together, leaving just enough space for each other and truly racing flat out, it genuinely keeps me on the edge of my seat.
The Technical Side:
- Formula One cars have evolved so much over the 76 years of the sport. They've gotten exponentially quicker and safer over the years, and it is amazing to look back at old footage and see just how much the cars have evolved technically.
- Going hand in hand with this, every 4 years the FIA changes the regulations for building the cars. This completely shakes up the competition; a team at the top from the previous year could become a backmarker if they don't find an innovation to keep them at the top, and vice versa. This keeps the competition more fair and brings lots of drama, especially in the first regulation year.
- The numerous safety innovations are another interesting, yet bittersweet aspect of the sport. There are many lifesaving devices that have been created over the years. One such innovation is the HANS (Head and Neck Support) device, implemented after racing legend Ayrton Senna's death. This device connects to a driver's helmet and shoulders, keeping their neck stable in the event of a crash. Another notable, and possibly the most important, safety addition in recent years is the halo. This carbon fiber bar protects drivers from being crushed in the event of a crash, acting as a barrier between them and danger, implemented after Jules Bianchi's death.
- F1 cars are so, so complex, both engine-wise and aerodynamically. They can be adjusted based on the track, area, altitude, and style of the driver. Drivers also make split-second adjustments while driving, such as brake balance and battery deployment, all while driving at 200 mph.
I think that is all for now! I could've added so many more, but these are most of the big reasons I love F1. I tried my best to be as coherent as possible, but I find it hard to put into words just how much I love this sport. Hope you enjoyed or this piqued your interest a little!
No comments:
Post a Comment